Saturday, April 24, 2010

Spring blessings










It's been a week of blessings - some big and some small, some expected and some not. Our biggest, and most anticipated blessing has been baby Max's arrival on Tuesday. Although the girls and I waited all day in Columbus for her to arrive, she came on her own schedule after 8 pm that night. We had a quick visit with her the next morning and were so excited to meet the newest, tiniest, sweet little addition to our family. Both of our girls are so thrilled to have a baby girl cousin! Welcome Maxalynn!
Today the girls and I had an unexpected blessing...but it was a bit of an embarrasing situation for me at the time. We went to Aldi, great deals on produce and cheese, and were in the forever check out line for a Saturday. When it was finally our turn and all our items were scanned and in our cart I went to pay with my check card, because they don't take credit cards and I almost never have cash, and "uh oh" the card was expired. I never even realized it. I have no way to pay for the $25 worth of groceries in my cart. I was fumbling for what to say to the clerk, turning all shades of red, trying to manage two bouncy children and totally flustered. There was a man behind me, buying 2 bags of potato chips, who spoke up before the clerk or I had time to deduce a solution. "I'll pay for her items." He couldn't even see what my total was when he volunteered to do it. I was very quick in my refusal and saying "no, no, you don't need to do that" but he was already doing it and I was sort of a bystander in my own dilemma. I tried multiple times to have him tell me his name...but he only said to me, "just pass on this kindness to someone else sometime." Wow. I was stunned, totally flustered and still really embarassed, honestly. God sent an angel into my day, totally out of the blue, and I am still floored by the reality of it. I didn't know that someone would do something like that for a total stranger. It was undeserved kindness, unmerited generousity and I aspire to pass his kindness on to someone else when God prompts me.

2 comments:

Mary E. said...

Just enjoy the blessing, Steph! No need to be embarrassed one bit, although we all would be, too. Aren't we silly people? I have no doubt God arranged for that guy to be there just for you in the nick of time. (I just posted on my blog a few days ago a story about how God is always on time). Anyway, how wonderful!!! XOXO

Liz said...

Wow, Steph! Incredible! ;) Just enjoy and be thankful!!! So cool! Congrats on sweet Maxalynn--gorgeous!
Love you dearly, and love your new blog design!